Porth Madog harbour, circa 1950
Mounted (ref: 2432)
Watercolour and pencil on paper, 15 x 22 1/2 in. (38 x 57 cm.)
Provenance: Jeremy Kemp, studio ref no. AK25
This shows Porth Madog harbour, using some artistic license, from where finished slates were shipped out . The slate sheds can be seen on the quayside and the quay itself was built with huge slabs of slate. The old narrow guage railway brought the slate down from Blaenau Ffestiniog across the cobb and into the porth. Kemp enjoyed the contrasting patterns of the old slate sheds against the harbour wall. This was a study for a large mural that Kemp did to depict the decline of the slate industry in North Wales.
We are grateful to Jeremy Kemp for assistance.