Margaret Wrightson (1877-1976)
Margaret Wrightson studied at the Royal College of Art under
William Blake (1842–1921) and Edouard Lanteri (1848–1917).
From 1906, she exhibited extensively with the RA, the SWA and
the Walker Gallery in Liverpool.
Gaining prominence during the First World War, she
received frequent commissions for statues of remembrance, such
as the figure of St George on the memorial at Cramlington in
Although perhaps constrained by the demands of the
traditional iconography of her period, Wrightson produced a
number of works created from a distinctly feminist view, such as
Spirit of the Garden (1912) – a female nude with a bronze collar
bearing the words ‘Spirit of the Garden, Peace, Hope, Love,
Courage’ and her striking Mechanic, Women’s Auxiliary Army
She was elected a fellow of the RBS in 1943 and was also a
member of the Arts and Crafts Exhibition Society.