In a hand painted hollow section period frame with ribbon knull
After the bombing of London during the Second World War, in 1940, it was decided that the Royal College
should be moved from London to Ambleside in The Lake District. Thus
the main Schools of Painting, Sculpture, Design and Engraving were
allowed to continue through the War with P.H.Jowett as Principal. The
School of Paintings was taught by Gilbert Spencer, Percy Horton and
Women were accommodated at The Salutation
Hotel and men at The Queen’s Hotel. The men came across from the
Queen’s Hotel and joined the women at the Salutation at mealtimes. At
the beginning there were more women than men amongst the 150 students
but by 1944 a considerable number of men invalided out of the forces had
started to return to full-time study.
In September 1941 Mahoney married Dorothy Bishop teacher of Calligraphy at the R.C.A in the Lake District.