Gill, Eric

(1882 – 1940)

Naked Man Dead, circa 1929

Original woodblock carving with gesso

Incised with Gill’s initials and numbered ‘284’
Block blindstamped, “T. Lawrence” 
7 x 1 1/2 in. (17.8 x 3 cm)

DESCRIPTION

Eric Gill paid Gibbings ¬£200 for the blocks that the Golden Cockerel Press had commissioned up to 1933.  As with others he cut many of these to sculptured shapes, filled the engraving with a gesso-like substance, and sold them or gave them away as ornaments; thus ensuring that no further prints could be taken’, Christopher Skelton, (introduction to Eric Gill, The Engravings, p 13).

Used as a border design for the Golden Cockerel Press edition of The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer (Waltham St. Lawrence, 1929-31). 178×30 mm; 7×1 1/4 inches, incised with Gill’s initials and numbered 284 (Gill’s reference number), block blindstamped by the carver, “T. Lawrence” (Thomas Neale Lawrence), wooden base measures 1×2 1/4 high, 1 3/4 deep. Skelton/Physick 569.

The image created from this block appeared 10 times throughout the volumes of The Canterbury Tales. Subsequently, it was printed as Plate 27 of Engravings 1928-1933 (London: Faber & Faber, Ltd., 1934). [Waltham St. Lawrence, 1929]

Disclaimer:
Liss Llewellyn are continually seeking to improve the quality of the information on their website. We actively undertake to post new and more accurate information on our stable of artists. We openly acknowledge the use of information from other sites including Wikipedia, artbiogs.co.uk and Tate.org and other public domains. We are grateful for the use of this information and we openly invite any comments on how to improve the accuracy of what we have posted.

THE ARTIST

Gill, Eric

1882 – 1940

Sculptor, engraver, letter-carver and typographer, born in Brighton, Sussex, the son of a Congregationalist minister and always referred to as Eric Gill. He became articled to W.H. Carse, architect to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in London in 1900. Gill attended evening classes at Central School of Arts & Crafts who studied letter design under Edward Johnston, he also began to carve in stone. By 1904, he was making a living from letter engraving and in 1910 began making figure sculpture and held his first solo exhibition at the Chenil Gallery, London, 1911 and about this time made several visits to the little-known Leeds Art Club. He set up an artistic community or artists colony in Ditchling, Sussex and was converted to Roman Catholicism in 1913.

In 1924, he moved to Capel-y-ffin in Wales and over the next four years produced much of his greatest engraved work, mainly for Gibbing’s Golden Cockerel Press. He moved again to High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire in 1928 and though a controversial figure in that his sexual improprieties remained in conflict with his Catholic faith, Gill is nowadays regarded as one of the greatest craftsmen of the 20th century, a typographer and letter cutter of skill and a masterly wood engraver. Gill was appointed RDI in 1936 one of the Royal Society of Arts earliest recipients and was also a Fellow of the Royal Society of British Sculptors.

Gill was a member of the Art Workers’ Guild, Society of Wood Engravers and contributed articles to various publications including Industrial Arts in 1936. Retrospective exhibition venues include Kettle’s Yard, 1979 and the Barbican Art Gallery, London, 1992-93 which also toured the UK. His prints are regularly exhibited at KHG, Marlborough, Wiltshire and previously at the Piccadilly Gallery. Examples of his work particularly his prints are in the collections of the V&A, BM, Brighton Art Gallery, Doncaster Art Gallery, Museums Sheffield, Stoke-on-Trent Art Gallery and Hull University.

With thanks to artbiogs.co.uk

MORE PICTURES BY ARTIST

Eric Gill
Standing Female Nude (from Twenty-five Nudes), c 1938
£16,500.00