Tremel, May

(1882 – 1963)

Polpever - A Cornish Farm


Original copper plate

plate: 18.8 x 28.7 cm 
frame: 28.5 x 37 cm

1 in stock


The Artist’s Estate; Private collection

A small, posthumous edition of prints has been pulled from the original copper plate on Arches paper 250g/m¬≤.

The Old Barn Polpever Farmhouse is a Grade II listed building, located in a small hamlet of renovated farm buildings situated in the hills above the pretty coastal town of  Duloe, South East Cornwall. The cottage enjoys magnificent views across the valley.



3/12 Polpever


Farmhouse. Circa C17 with circa mid C19 rear wing. Stone rubble with steeply
pitched corrugated iron and asbestos slate roof with gable ends. Slate roof to rear
projecting wing with gable end and lower corrugated iron roof with gable end to
projecting wing at front. Stone rubble projecting chimney stacks at gable ends of
main range and brick stack to C19 rear projecting wing.
Plan altered and original arrangement unclear. Comprises 2-room plan with through
passage. Parlour (now dairy) at higher end (left) and larger kitchen at lower end
(right). Both heated by end stacks. Through passage blocked at front by addition of
short originally unheated 2-storey projecting wing, circa mid C17, with C19 fireplace
in lower side wall with shaft removed. Entrance to farmhouse inserted leading
staight into kitchen room at lower end. House may have continued at lower end where
the stonework in a projecting wing of the adjoining barn, now converted into a
dwelling, appears contemporary. However, there is little evidence. Further wing
added at higher end to rear in mid C19.
2 storeys. Asymmetrical 2-window front with timber lintels to openings. Ground
floor with C19 2-light casement with glazing bars to left at higher end. 2-light
casement without glazing bars on ground of projecting wing with slate string above
and glazed outshut porch on right with low stone rubble wall and lean-to roof. First
floor with C19 centre-hung casement with glazing bars at higher end and 2-light
casement without glazing bars in gable end of projecting wing. Rear elevation with
C19 3-light casement with glazing bars to kitchen on left. Lean-to stone rubble
porch in angle with projecting rear wing with wall set slightly forward. First floor
with late C19 2-light casement and C19 2-light casement with glazing bars above rear
entrance. Eaves possibly raised on left. C19 casements to rear wing.
Interior Unaltered C19 interior. Kitchen at lower end heavy chamfered ceiling beams
with runout stops. Screen lower side of probable earlier through passage removed.
Front entrance of through passage blocked. Large kitchen fireplace partly blocked.
Dairy, first floor and roof timbers not inspected.
Good example of an unspoilt farmhouse with unaltered front and rear elevations and
C19 interior.

We are grateful to for this information.

Liss Llewellyn are continually seeking to improve the quality of the information on their website. We actively undertake to post new and more accurate information on our stable of artists. We openly acknowledge the use of information from other sites including Wikipedia, and and other public domains. We are grateful for the use of this information and we openly invite any comments on how to improve the accuracy of what we have posted.


Tremel, May

1882 – 1963

Little-known etcher, born in Bradford, Yorkshire, May Tremel began her training as an artist atGoldsmiths’ College and progressed to the Royal College of Art where she learned engraving and printmaking techniques under Sir Frank Short. She exhibited, intermittently, at the Royal Academy and other major exhibitions between the years 1907-1936 and was invited to exhibit at the First International Exhibition of Etching at the Art Institute of Chicago. Tremel lived in Barnes, West London from around 1907 until the mid-1920’s. However, by the 1930’s she had relocated to the Kentish countryside near Sevenoaks where she eventual died in Tonbridge.

With thanks to


May Tremel
View from Hammersmith Bridge of Lower Mall, Hammersmith, (original copper plate), circa 1925