Sold

Wrightson, Margaret

(1877 – 1976)

St George - the original maquette for Cramlington War Memorial, Northumberland, circa 1922

The original plaster maquette

8 in.  (20.5 cm)

DESCRIPTION

Provenance:
Private collection South Africa

Wrightson’s Cramlington War  Memorial, Northumberland, was unveiled by Lt. Col, Robert Scott on 17th September 1922 and dedicated by Dr. Wild, Bishop of Newcastle.



Wrightson exhibited at the Royal Academy and at the Society of Women Artists from 1906.  Her public sculptures are a small figure of St. George on the war memorial at Cramlington, Northumberland (1922) and the statue of a boy commemorating Charles Lamb (1928) in the gardens of the Inner Temple in the City of London.  

Disclaimer:
Liss Llewellyn are continually seeking to improve the quality of the information on their website. We actively undertake to post new and more accurate information on our stable of artists. We openly acknowledge the use of information from other sites including Wikipedia, artbiogs.co.uk and Tate.org and other public domains. We are grateful for the use of this information and we openly invite any comments on how to improve the accuracy of what we have posted.

THE ARTIST

Wrightson, Margaret

1877 – 1976

Margaret Wrightson studied at the Royal College of Art under
William Blake (1842’1921) and Edouard Lanteri (1848’1917).
From 1906, she exhibited extensively with the RA, the SWA and
the Walker Gallery in Liverpool. 

Gaining prominence during the First World War, she
received frequent commissions for statues of remembrance, such
as the figure of St George on the memorial at Cramlington in
Northumberland (1922). 

Although perhaps constrained by the demands of the
traditional iconography of her period, Wrightson produced a
number of works created from a distinctly feminist view, such as
Spirit of the Garden (1912) ‘ a female nude with a bronze collar
bearing the words ‘Spirit of the Garden, Peace, Hope, Love,
Courage’ and her striking Mechanic, Women’s Auxiliary Army
Corps
, 1917. 

She was elected a fellow of the RBS in 1943 and was also a
member of the Arts and Crafts Exhibition Society.

MORE PICTURES BY ARTIST