Provenance: Lady Monnington
In a gilded flat section frame with square outer moulding
Between 1924 and 1936 Kippen Church was transformed from being an unremarkable Presbyterian Kirk into one of the most beautiful of Scotlands religious buildings. The reconstruction of the building was undertaken in celebration of its centenary, and largely funded by Sir David (D.Y.) Cameron (1865-1945), who was at the time a member of the Kirk Session. A Director of both the National Gallery of Scotland and the Tate Gallery, Camerons influence extended throughout the artistic community of his day and he commissioned works from many of his favourite artists, including Monnington who was asked to produce a painting for one of the three chapels. The chosen subject shows Jesus on the way to Galilee passing through Samaria: It was noon when he reached the beautiful Vale of Shechem. At the opening of this valley was Jacob’s well. Wearied with His journey, he sat down here to rest while his disciples went to buy food.