Charles Cundall (1890-1971):
Porte St Cloud, Paris
Framed (ref: 10355)
Oil on panel
17 3/8 x 21 in. (44.2 x 53.5 cm)
Provenance: Private collection; (Ms Claxton) 1982
Exhibited: Old Grosvenor Galleries, 51 A New Bond Street, March 1923, no. 81
This painting was exhibited at the Old Grosvenor Galleries in in 1923 in an exhibition of works by Charles Cundall, Harold Knight, H.M.Livens and Fairlie Harmar 1876-1945). One of thirty two Cundalls included, four were of English views, with twelve French (Paris and Normandy views) and the remaining works of Italian topography.
Saint-Cloud is a commune in the western suburbs of Paris, located 9.6 kilometres from the centre of Paris. Always a wealthy commune, at the time of this painting, dating to the early 1920's, it was being transformed by the extension of the train line from Exelmans. A station opened on 28 September 1923, the terminus of the line until 1934, until it was extended further to Pont de Sèvres bringing further wealth and development to the area.