Artist Albert de Belleroche: Charing Cross Station, circa 1885

Artist Albert de Belleroche (1864-1944): Charing Cross Station, circa 1885

 Privately held

Albert de Belleroche (1864-1944):
Charing Cross Station, circa 1885
Framed (ref: 369)

Charing Cross Station
Signed in pencil, inscribed with inventory number 202 on reverse
Oil on canvas, 
30 x 21 1/2 in. (76.3 x 54.5 cm.)

See all works by Albert de Belleroche oil pencil architecture Impressionnists Metropolitan transport



In a gilded hollow frame.

The original Charing Cross station was built on the site of the Hungerford Market by the South Eastern Railway and opened on 11 January 1864. Designed by Sir John Hawkshaw, with a single span wrought iron roof arching over the six platforms , the Station was relatively cramped. Belleroche would have been a frequent visitor when visiting London from Paris, taking the boat across to Dover and then arriving by train into Charring Cross.